Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Price is Right

In about a month, Bob Barker will tape his last "The Price is Right" episode. Most people reading this probably do not know TV without Bob Barker, who has been hosting the show for nearly as long as the Brewers have been in existence. I know I am not alone when I say I don't think I even want to know "TPIR" without Bob (I call him "Bob" because it feels like he's a member of the family). TPIR doesn't rely on glitzy lighting, dramatic music, or contestants that are complete lunatics to bring in millions of viewers every day. It's a simple show that takes the contestants for who they are. Sure, producers interview the audience ahead of time but the chosen ones still seem to represent the "common person". And there's Bob, presiding over it all and expertly conducting an entertaining hour of TV time and time again.

Hank Stuever at the Washington Post writes a great story today on Bob and the show. I think it hits on the reasons why many of us love the show to this day.

Oh, and my favorite game was "Cliffhangers".