Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Nevin Ashley

Congratulations to Express catcher Nevin Ashley on being selected on 6-6-06, in the Sixth Round, by, of course, the Devil Rays.

I didn't know a whole lot about him when I first saw him play Saturday night, but I was impressed enough that evening to do some digging about him. Still, I don't think even he would have projected himself to go in the 6th round. I was hoping the catching-depleted Brewer system would take a shot at him somewhere in the 10-13 rounds.

I e-mail the Express and asked if they could get a baseball signed by Nevin for me with the inscription "6th round, 6-6-06, Devil Rays". It would immediately shoot to the top of my favorite autographed baseball list!

The Express bats were once again silent last night and they were shut out by Madison, 3-0. Honestly, it could have been a lot worse. I'm very impressed with the Mallards all around. Bond at short has soft hands and a decent arm. The entire team seemed to be able to put a sting into the ball. Message boards say they have been "lucky" so far, but this team is not far off from being dominating. Plus they have GREAT uniforms and what appears to be a loyal fan base. If we didn't have the Express, I'm sure I'd be rooting hard for them!