Friday, December 15, 2006

Grimes Article Update

I submitted the finished Burleigh Grimes article to Charles Clark several weeks ago, but haven't heard back. Now I'm going to go on the assumption that everything is okay, and will send it off for possible publication. I was thinking of sending it to Elysian Fields Quarterly first. Maybe I can submit it to both EFQ and SABR at the same time, and whoever says "yes" first gets it. I'll check on that and keep you posted.

There were some last-minute adjustments that needed to be made in the article. I'm very confused over Burleigh's father. I was told (and read) that he gave Burleigh money to head for Eau Claire and later on he would send slippery elm bark to his son in the majors. However, in other places I have found that Burleigh's father died while Burleigh was very young. Before submitting the piece, I need to either (1) verify the date of death or (2) not focus on his father too much.