Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Softball Begins

Last night, the Valley Blues co ed softball team debuted the 2006 version of badness with a loss to a new team, 22-6. Seriously, though, it's not that bad. I think for the most part we have a great time playing, and that's the most important thing. It's not like any of us are looking to be drafted into some sort of Professional slowpitch league or anything like that. The point is to have fun, and if that is the measuring stick we have had a very successful run.

Personally, I played left field for the first time since breaking my finger out there in the first game three years ago. After I got back from that break, I played first base for a game or two. I sat out in 2004 in protest to me being let go by Blue Cross, then last season I was at first for all of the games. I was rusty out there, to say the least. Anything that hit the ground I tended to bobble, too, which was really, really weird. I've lost my nerve maybe. There were a couple of flys I could have taken a dive for but didn't--one cost me as it resulted in me taking a poor angle and since I didn't dive the ball skipped all the way to the fence. Maybe it just took a game to get my bearings and I'll be back at it next time. Batting, I saw one pitch. I popped it up but got my typical doink hit because outfielders seem to think I have power. Tom walked me to third and I scored the first run of the season on a ground out to the pitcher. After that, I offered a new guy that had come to the game late the chance to play. I could have went out there again, but why not let this guy get some playing time.