Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Back to Back Great Days!

So on Sunday the first of October I had a great baseball day. Monday, October 2 proved to be nearly as good.

My wife's grandfather's brother's grandson (I've been told that's a second cousin) is Ryan Klosterman, an up and coming shortstop in the Blue Jays organization. I have been following his progress since he was drafted in the fifth round of the 04 draft. He is moving up the ladder and finished this season in double A ball and was selected to go to the Arizona Fall League!

Earlier in the season, just after his promotion to double a, I wrote him a note congratulating him. He apparently enjoyed this letter, as he talked with his grandfather the same day he got it. His grandfather, a guy affectionately known for years as "Uncle Eddie" to me, is just as nice of a person as Ryan is. In fact, before the season even started I got to talk with Ryan thanks to Uncle Eddie. It kind of took me by surprise, but it was wonderful that Uncle Eddie thought of me when Ryan was in town.

Anyway, back to the story. Uncle Eddie stops by my house on Monday, the 2nd, with a bag. He said Ryan sent him some stuff that he wanted me to have. "Cool," I thought. Eddie pulls out a team set of baseball cards with Ryan in it. Amazingly, I didn't have this particular card of him. I believe I have a copy of every card that had a circulation of at least 25 of Ryan so far. The next item was even better. He gave me a team-issued cap with his signature on it! But even that didn't prepare me for the last item. Ryan gave me one of his game-used gloves. I have several hundred gloves, but none that are more important than this one. Not one of those other gloves was ever used in a pro game, to my knowledge. Ryan signed the glove beautifully. It is now displayed prominantly in my den downstairs.

And amazingly enough, I don't think Charles Clark has one!

Ryan, if you are reading this, thanks so much, buddy!